Saturday, October 4, 2008

Dumela!

I have made it to Gaborone, Botswana. This journey took a little under 20 hours on a plane, where 15 hours of that time I spent going from Washington DC to Johannesburg, South Africa next to a man that was very nice but had the worst smelling breath ever that, hopefully, the world will not have to endure.

Luckily, when I arrived there were several holidays back-to-back and I did not have to go to work until Friday. However, my first work day consisted of meeting a lot of people (whose names I do not remember entirely because I could not pronounce them correctly) and sitting and reading a lot of documents in order to write reviews...yuck. (But I will be able to know what is going on in this country).

We are about to start a child poverty study, which I think will be good and things are already in motion with data collecting. (We are not doing the data collecting.) So far this weekend has been very relaxing: running errands, eating, and trying to stay on top of the news in the US.

My first real day here (Wednesday), we went to a game park where we saw one giraffe in the shade and sleeping (sitting up). We also saw some wild birds, ostriches, antelope, elephants, cheetahs, and hyenas. It really was too hot for the animals to moving about so there were very few to be seen. However, we saw them none-the-less.

That is it for now, nothing too exciting yet! This might really be a good thing.

In case anyone is wondering I am 6 hours ahead here that is for the east coast.

5 comments:

Pall said...

first! great to hear that you made it there safely. sorry you missed out on our festivities but i guarantee mike had a good enough of a time for the both of ya. take care!

Victor M said...

awesome to hear stories from the other side of the world. all those animals sound pretty exciting to me, even if it was too hot for them to be active. did it feel surreal?

Anonymous said...

i am soooo jealous of you right now!
i'm actually glad its 6 hours because my friends abroad in madrid are also 6 hours ahead so that'll be easy for me to remember :)
its gotta be crazy to see those animals like not in a zoo.
*sigh* oh cuz... i miss you and wish u were coming to thanksgiving.

LOVE YOU!
Chelsea :D

modify_man said...

BOO!!!!!
Yeah I must agree I bet its kinda scary to be reading something from your long lost ,(and lost in many ways) uncle. Im glad. NO! Im happy that, Nyaa,mma/ rra ! Im ,I suppose just a little envious but mostly proud of you.
SO, O dira eng? I looked up Gaborone on the google map and seems fairly not small.
Ke tsogile sentle/Ke teng, but just spent 2weeks on a county holiday for a violation. It gave me time to think though.
Your in my prayers and Ke a go rata.
One more thing,
what am I suppose to agree with? ----(Dumella)
Let me know your pictures issue a little more and I might find an unorthodox solution.
Go siame.
Sala sentle,
Mark
Ga ke bue Setswana

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone sorry I have been away for so long but so much has been going on and no time to post. I moved to New Orleans the first week of July and my feet hit the ground running. I have been working on my old house in Florida for the last few weeks and I am exhausted after successfully getting a loan from Mr Pedro and his loan firm at 3% rate to help finish my house ! So no time to work out, no time to eat right etc.....I so want my life back and I am so proud of what Mr Pedro did to me by helping me with a loan. I am going to leave Mr Pedro email here so anyone looking for a loan can contact Mr Pedro on ...pedroloanss@gmail.com or whatsapp text...+18632310632. Hopefully I can get my life back on track. Miss you guys hope to back on soon.